Accept new challenges

I will share with you one of several rewarding experiences I have had during my professional career.

Login screen
While working as a Computer Operator I was given a rather unusual challenge, to create a system that will survey the use of the X system automatically (I will call X, as I do not know if I can say the name), this system at the time was distributed in 72 servers.
After talking with my boss to get permission to participate in this project, I started the survey of requirements to start the work (At the end of the text I will leave the links with the documentation).
In short, I would have to develop a web system in ASP and a Windows Service in C # that should centralize the information of use of the system X in a single screen, the system should have access control by password and as a business rule the maximum number of systems on each server should be 21.
This whole project lasted 2 weeks and was run in parallel to my service.
Regarding the environment I had complete autonomy to make the necessary configurations on the server where my application would be hosted (IIS, Services).


After meeting the challenge came the best part, the feedback, which I will share with you:

"... I would like to share with everyone the Cockpit (it was the name they gave, I'm not very creative to name my programs), the purpose of this panel is to give visibility and greater control of the infrastructure of that environment. of a survey of data it was possible to reach the number of inactive clients that we have today, and had never been carried out any cleaning action, this legacy affects us at a cost of approximately R $ 15k monthly, with the Cockpit we will have a visibility of spaces free in the current infra, so it will not be necessary to create new servers until those spaces are filled ... ".

I was very happy and proud of my work to be recognized by my colleagues and of course pleased to have helped the company to solve a problem. A few days after I delivered the project I was challenged to improve the Cockpit, now it should also automate the process of deploying the X application, which was so far done manually.
I thought, why not? I already have half a job done and I know the process. Challenge accepted!
After 5 days of code changes, I created a new Windows Service that would be responsible for updating system X. I also had to do the integration between the web system and the new service and of course after so much commitment the feedback came again:

"... Another gain of the Cockpit is the automation of the deploy process, before the user opened the call by attaching the deploy file and we had no window and version control to apply rollback, and we had a lot of time spent by the analysts which due to the need to manually open the 72 servers took around 2 days to deploy the entire environment, today this same process will be documented, where the requester will post the file to an FTP with the use of the Cockpit we managed to reduce the time to 2 minutes, now instead of 2 days we do the automated deploy in 2 minutes within the window agreed with the product team.
The Cockpit is also a resposivo application, so it allows us mobility and access through mobile appliance enabling the remote execution of the deploy in case of emergency and out of business hours.
Finally I would like to congratulate and recognize in a special way the analyst Fabio Ferreira who was responsible for the development of the application in only 2 weeks, which will undoubtedly give us immense productivity gains ... "

Like I said it was an amazing experience. I grew up as a professional, I heard the difficulties of my colleagues, I had the opportunity to improve a process and I was recognized.

Sometimes what we lack is just the courage to take on new challenges.

I will leave here the most complete documentation of the system, there are some diagrams used by UML and a little about the lifting of requirements:

Here are some images of the system:
Update screen

Number of consolidated licenses



Detail of the quantity of licenses

Plus: As I'm curious I also made a plugin for Nagios in C # that returns the total of X applications on each server, but this I will explain in another post.












Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

O que é Nagios?

Instalando NagiosQL com mysqli

Instalando o Nagios em 30 passos